Friday, January 11, 2013

.............

One of the people I talk with on Conversation Exchange lives in Paris. She is always cheerful, bordering on ebuillent.

Yesterday she put something on Facebook which resulted in several people giving their condolences.  I didn't know what it was -- sometimes she will post things that are actually quotes from poems or songs - so I asked.

Her little sister killed herself.


I only know this person as a conversation partner.  I've only spoken to her brother once, and I didn't even know she had a sister.  This really has nothing to do with me, and there's nothing I can do. I did offer to talk with her if she needs it, but I doubt she will - time, distance, language.

Yet I feel awful for her. And somehow shattered by the death of someone that I didn't even know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart just breaks in these kinds of situations. You know someone but, don't know them well enough to be of any use. One of my early high school friends recently lost her young nephew because the mother decided to kill herself and the nephew by setting their house fire. My heart breaks but, I haven't talked to her in years.
Sometimes I say a prayer, even though I haven't been the praying type in a long time and I doubt it does much good. Guess it just makes me feel like I am possibly helping in some way (probably why prayer started to begin with).

Cerulean Bill said...

Yes, exactly. I don't know this family, but I am sure there are families just like them right here. And yet I do nothing.

Tabor said...

Just offering to be there for anything she needs is all you can do. This sad journey can be most aided by those close to her.

Cerulean Bill said...

True. And, just like any other tragedy - when the kid in my neighborhood killed himself - the day will come when I don't even think of it, except in passing.

But today, it's raw.