Friday, January 11, 2013

Hot Water

About three years ago, we bought an electric hot water kettle.  It worked very well, and when it failed, we bought exactly the same model.  It also works very well.

About a week ago, I noticed that the paint on our Moen kitchen faucet was chipping.  Yeah, I thought Moen was a good brand, too.  My wife had mentioned on occasion that she'd like to replace the faucet, for some functional and some aesthetic reasons,  so I thought heck, let's just do that.

When we were thinking about it, I got it into my head to have an 'instant hot water' dispenser installed.  The reason was that it irritates me slightly to have to run water just to get hot water up to the sink.  While I don't think it wastes a lot of water, it unquestionably wastes some.  So when we had a plumber work up an estimate for the sink, we told him to add in the heater, too, which he did.

Now I'm looking at the cost of the estimate, and thinking But you already HAVE a hot water dispenser, for which you paid all of about thirty bucks...and you're thinking about THIS? And the damned thing is, I can't decide.  On the one hand, it's silly to have that done.  Even if the electric kettle breaks again, we can just get another.  Or microwave water.  Or boil it!  On the other -- well, it'd add to the resale value of the house, not that we're planning to sell in the next fifteen years.  And it would be useful to have when we need a blast of hot water.

My wife is willing to go along with it, either way. Hmm...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Stick with the kettle.