Friday, January 04, 2013

Strange Habits

Okay, perhaps not that strange, but --

I was just cleaning out a drawer -- something that we both thought we should do that after spending buckets of time cleaning out my mother's stuff, and still not coming to the end of it.  In this case, it was because I was looking for another watch -- the battery in mine had died.  I found it, and, of course, its battery was dead, too.  So I thought  well, I'll replace that one, too - and then thought why do that?  The only time I'll wear it is when this one's battery dies. There ought to be a way to switch the watch off, or even -- here's a radical thought - a watch that doesn't need a battery.  Something mechanical, say....

But the strange habit is this.  I found a small box buried in a night table drawer.  It contained two small polished stones.  No monetary value, but they're pretty, and fun to hold.  So, what's my impulse?  To hide them away in a box. To keep them safe,  doncha know....  That's stupid, I thought. Where's the value in that?   Keep them out where I can see them, play with them, touch them.  Yeah, but if I put them out, they could get lost, or damaged....  And I wanted so bad to put them back in the box.   To keep them safe.   I didn't, but I wanted to.  Why do we do that?

I also found a Walking Liberty coin that had belonged to my grandfather.  I showed it to my daughter, who remarked Holy schiznits, that's big!

No comments: