Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Safety

This, from the Not Always Right series of sites, is a good example of what I see as a well-motivated but poorly thought out idea.  That you can't take a picture in a public area of your own child....stupid.


Children’s water play park
Buckinghamshire - England

the water park i work at has a strict, no photography rule while at work i see a man standing next to one of our signs with a digital camera, so i approach him..
ME. Sorry sir you cant take photos here,
MAN. Why not?
ME. its a privacy issue, other parents might not like it if you get their children in the background
MAN. okay
(2 minutes later i see said man with his camera out again and i approach him again)
ME. Sorry sir i’ve told you once already, you cant take photo’s here
MAN. i’m not, look
(he shows me the screen of the camera to show me that he’s not taking photos … he’s filming. i have to explain that he is not allowed to film either)

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Sorry but I can understand this. If yo are taking a photo of your child it would be pretty clear if you just went up to him/her and focused on them. It is an issue. I hesitate posting photos of my grandchildren online.

Cerulean Bill said...

I know the logic, I just think its stupid. Yes you were focusing on this kid and it is your kid but my child was in the background!!!! All of the police over-reaction here - no photographs of landmarks such as the Golden Gate, for example -- started with reasonable -- even if just 'for the moment' -- responses. But the people who promoted them kept doubling down. From what I read, England's worse. They're well on the way to becoming a police state "secure beneath the watchful eyes". Then again, we have their ilk here, too.