Monday, October 29, 2012

Mal de Dent

A couple of months ago, I had a filling come out.  When the guy replaced it, he remarked that it was pretty big, and if it had problems, he'd want to put a cap on the tooth.  Okay, no problem (though I know from sad experience where that can lead). 

About a week ago, I started to have intermittant pain in the tooth next to that.  After a few days where it would come and go, I went back and had him look at it.  He had all sorts of good news. First, the filling was coming out, and yes, he did want to do the cap. (That always sounds so lightweight!)  But the xray also showed the tooth next to it, and, hey, is that some infection down there, under it?

So now I'm getting an implant there.  Which is no big deal, really - speaking as someone who's got a full upper row of them (though now I know that even though there are seven implants up there, only two are actually 'in use'; delightful.  I paid for that. ) - but it means I get to go to two dentists a total of five times, if I'm lucky. Twice for the cap.  Three times for the implant.  The first is particularly cool -- it's a 'consult', which I think is dentist-speak for 'here's a chance for me to make you pay for the time I take to tell you that yeah, you need an implant'. And possibly lay a load of guilt on you, at the same time.

Have I mentioned how much I hate dentists?

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Sorry, but I guess it may be worse to know what you are up against...!

Cerulean Bill said...

I told my wife that the worst part is, I have to act like a reasonable, thoughtful adult instead of whimpering as I want to.