Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Democracy in Action

With every failure to follow through on their promises to curtail the war in Iraq, the Democrats are having one effect, at least: they're making me think that perhaps Paul, or even Kucinich, are a viable alternative. They're letting Bush walk all over them, and though they've won some things, they are losing, heavily, on the big one. Given that a Republican minority is cohesive enough to block pretty much anything it doesn't want to see, nothing short of a Democratic landslide is going to give the next president -- whom I assume will be Democratic -- the ability to make substantive changes. Unless, of course, he or she adopts the weasel tactics used by the current weasel-in-chief. They do seem to work...

2 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

I wish Ron Paul had a chance. I think we need someone completely out-of-the-box and totally different.

Cerulean Bill said...

I absolutely agree. To be honest, part of the reason I'm in favor of Hillary is that she is female. I'm hoping for a different attitude toward whats possible, desirable, doable. I don't expect her to be the great Earth Mother, and I suspect that she can be as vicious and backstabbing as any other professional politician -- but at the moment, she's the most desirable. If I could merge her ability and electability with Paul's intelligent observations and attitudes, I'd be delighted. Even though the congress would still be a problem. Whats the opposite of Pro? Whats the opposite of Progress?