Thursday, December 03, 2015

Endings

Ah, Discord's Apple.  You were going so well, right up to the last few pages.  Great plot.  Intriguing characters. Inventive devices. Hey, when I finish this one, I should find more by this author.

And then, right at the end,  something amazing happened.  That plot that you spent the last hundred pages on, the one that kept me turning the pages?  Gone. Those characters?  Mostly gone.  Their world? Vanished.  Something magical happened.

I know it's tough to be an author, but has the concept of a satisfying conclusion evaded you?

2 comments:

RozWarren said...

I hate it when that happens.

Cerulean Bill said...

Me, too. I always think that it means the author said Dammit, got to get this one out the door, um, okay, heres what happened And it makes it much less likely that I'm going to look for them again.

Then again, I can be heartless -- I loved every one of the Old Man's War series, but as soon as I read one bad one, I stopped grabbing and buying them automatically. Better check this one out first before I buy it. Same thing with the Vorkosigan novels. One bad one? See you later.