Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Writing

It takes talent to write a decent science fiction novel, as John Scalzi did with Old Man's War.

It takes more talent to write sequels that not only don't suck, but are actually better, as he did with The Ghost Brigades and The Last Colony.

But when you can take the whole plot of one of those books, and write it again, from the viewpoint of one of the secondary characters...and it doesn't entirely suck....  as he did with Zoe's Tale...well... I think I need a word that means talent....and then some.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed all of those as well. The man certainly has an imagination, and can tell a tale!

Cerulean Bill said...

He's one of those people who makes one think Why, I could do that!.... until you try.

I'm about halfway through the last one. I admit, it does lag a little bit, but I just hit the first Oh here's something that Dad didn't know about, and that helped. Still glad that I'm reading it.