Monday, December 24, 2012

Architecture

I'm not an 'architecture' guy.  I can't tell you what a given style is.  I don't know a Doric column from Dora the Explorer.  When the architect in a book I was reading once (I believe it was titled "House") says The house wants to be Greek Orthodox, I only vaguely understood what he was trying to say.

And yet, I've always enjoyed the concept of the Playboy Pad.  Not because of the gorgeous women who inevitably festooned the rooms; even as a teenager, I could not ever see myself as being with anyone like that - in fact, I wasn't entirely sure they were even alive.  But the rooms!  The elegant wall coverings (lets forget the fake, I'm sorry, faux leopard-skin), the hidden lighting, the remote controls for every gadget known to man (now, as an adult who still hasn't hooked up the DVD player downstairs, and as one who read with awe about the internal wiring at Skywalker ranch, I'm still amazed), the easy access to the pool -- even things like taking two row houses and gutting them so that they were solid and traditional outside, swinging and elegant inside -- all of it delighted and amazed me.  I was in awe of the people who could design things like that, and I still am.

No comments: