Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Surrender

I gave up.

After a summer of trying to keep up with the grass, I gave up.  Ten minutes ago, I picked a mowing company out of the phone book and said come cut this stuff. Because this is ridiculous.  I last mowed one section of grass three days ago - and today it's thick enough to cause my electric mower to stall out repeatedly -- sometimes, a foot at a time.

Next year, I don't know.  Maybe we'll take our chances again.  Maybe we'll buy a self-propelled gas mower.  Maybe even make the leap to a riding mower.

But for this year, the war is over, and I lost.

4 comments:

Tabor said...

Don't call my guy. He failed again two weeks ago. Hubby mowed quickly last week but fall fertilizer has made it zoom. If he doesn't show up tomorrow he is toast.

Cerulean Bill said...

When we were first married, we hired a local family. One day they just stopped. After a while, we called, and they said Yeah, we don't do that anymore. Gee, thanks for letting us know.

One coworker once said he was going to start a home handyman service where he guaranteed he would not come. You'd never have to wait around for him. And you know, that almost sounds good.

Doing the math, the guy I called say $50 a week, so thats at least $100 a month if we do it twice, or $600 over the course of a season. A self propelled push mower is about $400, a riding one about $900. I'm really not ready for the riding one (more accurately, we'd have to move one of the cars any time we wanted to take it out), but the other, for next year -- yeah, that's possible. Or even this year, if the guy doesn't come to give the estimate on-site.

genderist said...

Welcome to the dark side.

Cerulean Bill said...

What's the qualification for that?