Sunday, August 12, 2012

Reading

I've returned to reading Six Frigates.  It's a thick enough book that at times it intimidates me -- and how I hated when I realized years ago that thick books were beginning to have that effect on me .  I’m not sure why, whether I’m not as smart as I used to be (probably true) or not as intellectually curious (not sure I ever was that curious), but whatever the reason, I don’t tend to read books now that are more than about two hundred pages.  I suppose my mind has been softened by age and the Internet.
 
But I like Six Frigates because it talks about politics back in an age when, I thought, everyone was of the same attitude – all strong, forthright, determined, all right thinkers.  It astonishes me to read that that wasn’t the case at all – that some, for example, fervently held the opinion that the United States ought to have a military because otherwise it would be attacked, and others were equally vociferous with the opinion that it was the existence of the military that provokes attack; to read about politicians who, unable to sway opinion, took to inserting clauses into bills in Congress which had nothing to do with the bill, but had the effect of implementing what the politician could not get passed on their own; to read about people arguing points that seem obvious to us now, but at the time, were very much – literally – up for debate. And not gentlemanly will the senator yield ? debate, either.  Holy hell, I think.  Things were as screwed up then as they are now.
 
There are times when I despair for the future of this country, I really do.  I know that I’m not a strong thinker; I’m not the brightest guy around, and I tend to feel that everyone has the right to their opinion, when, probably, they really don’t. There's a lot of stupid people around, and sometimes I'm one of them.  I am amazed that people can be in favor of politicians who display disdain for them, and I’m sure that others are amazed that I can be in favor of a politician who does things that are clearly wrong, or politically motivated.  I console myself that of course, you can’t vote against someone just because of their attitude to one topic, and then I see the success of the NRA because that’s exactly what their members do.  I find myself thinking well, maybe its not such a bad thing that people want to have their own guns, because most guns that are used for malicious purpose were acquired illegally – and then I think but if I’m agreeing with them, but they never agree with me that steps need to be taken to control gun violence, doesn’t that mean the NRA won?  (Yes, I think it does.)  So maybe it is a good thing to be a one or two or three issue person, and just vote for the people who are your way on those issues, even if you suspect that they’re lying, even if you know that there are good reasons not to support what you want.  Let the other side worry about equality; stick up for your side.
 
I know, we’ll survive, but there are times when I wonder if its worth it.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fear I am one of those stupid people you referenced in your blog and not capable of properly commenting here, but this blog deserves a comment and not some flippant remark carelessly made. I, too, sometime fear for the country and I know I am not always right. I am at opposites with many of my friends and most of my family. I feel bad about it but deep down I think they are wrong. I think your reasoning is sound. And we all have doubts. But your blogs is a worthwhile read.

Cerulean Bill said...

Thank you.

The best comment I've heard lately is that we all agree Washington needs common sense, but we can't agree about what common sense even means.

I want to believe that we can quietly reason this out, but I don't think the other side agrees. We can't even agree on basics.

This is what leaders are supposed to fix, but we won't elect a leader unless they promise to support our side and smash the other side. You have to have someone truly awful, such as Bush, before people say Okay, enoughs enough. And even then....

We haven't reached that point with gun violence. I doubt we ever will. I think that the families of every NRA member could be slaughtered, and the NRA leadership would still say "While of course this is most unfortunate...."

Unknown said...

As we get older, we realize that longer books usually mean the author doesn't know how to edit him or herself. We realize that wordiness doesn't necessarily correlate to erudition or wisdom. :-)

And America has been going to the dogs since its founding. Just lately, however, it's going through another Robber Baron period. The arguments are the same, the inanity the same and the politicians can be replaced with a news clipping. What might be different is that the whole sorry lot may be what we have to put up with for the while.