Friday, July 13, 2012

Trust

A friend mentioned having a problem with trust issues.  It put me in mind of when my wife and I were talking about marriage, having finally agreed that we were going to do it.  At the time, there were self-help articles that said that it should be clear who was the head of the household, so that if there was an irreconcilable division, and a decision had to be made, one would be made.  Although I kind of liked the idea of seeing myself in that role, I didn't very much like the idea that it implied things would always be my way, and that it ultimately didn't matter what my fiancee thought. I told her that to me it came down to trusting me, but if our positions were reversed, I could see how it might be really tough to do, because you're essentially giving up your self and hoping that you don't regret it later.  But if you don't, it might mean that you end up not having a relationship that you really want to have.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember someone telling me the same thing, a couple of decades ago. I told him to go take a hike! :-)

(Come to think of it, I haven't spoken to that particular "friend" since then!)

Cerulean Bill said...

Thats what you get with computer people. They forget to make the GOTO a conditional one....