Sunday, April 01, 2012

Voting

In just over a month, we'll have the Primary election.  This will be the last one for which I'm the judge.  I'm pleased about that.

The very first time I did it, the whole process was new and exciting.  It was the Presidential election, and there were hundreds of people coming to vote.  We had to learn some things on the fly.  I was busy all day, and I was needed.  I liked that.

The other elections were boring. Dozens of people, not hundreds, and frequently ones and twos, not dozens. Occasional small problems; one problem that the trainers had said would be a Big Problem if it happened, but when it did, they said meh, don't worry about it.  And you get to spend the whole damn day there, from about 5:30 in the morning till about 9PM.  Plus another 45 minutes to bring the votes out to the country office and turn them in.

I got to the point where I dreaded the day.  I think it's just the sheer boredom that got to me.

So, no more.

2 comments:

STAG said...

Starting to feel the same way. But, as a self employed semi retired guy, they really DO need me.

Bill

Cerulean Bill said...

I think these people do, too. I'm just not that interested. After I asked myself multiple times "What could they do to make me want to stay", I realized that there wasn't anything. Not money, not cupcakes. I ran out of enthusiasm.

Though I imagine I'll feel a twinge when I see someone else doing it.