Monday, April 16, 2012

Monday

I don't tend to be busy, but lately, yes.  So it's particularly nice to be able to just sit.  Granted, I have a list of things that I want to do, from cleanup in the store room to various French study activities - a lot of them; I've been distracted -- but right now I'm just sitting in the kitchen, listening to the birds, and thinking that perhaps making some breakfast would be a good idea.

I'm not good at understanding people's motivations. My impulses are all wrong. I just don't have the empathy to understand them.  That can get me into trouble, as it did when I was briefly friends with the French girl.  That ended badly, as I’ve mentioned. I still occasionally look at her Twitter feed, though, because I wonder how she's doing with her remote - literally - boyfriend. Well,  I looked this morning, and was startled to find that since I looked last, some time ago, she’s gone from pining for him and planning a delightful meeting in Paris to wishing him completely and totally out of her life.   Apparently, he did something seriously wrong. It's her right, of course, but still, I wonder: . How can someone change opinions that drastically, that quickly?  If we were friends, I'd ask - but I guess I know better than that.

We stayed in Dayton so as to watch most of the finals, and I have to say, I was impressed by all, and astounded by one - the Japanese group, which comes to WGI once every two years.  They were incredible.  The video on this page gives a taste of what the competitions can provide. (If you get the 'login' popup, just close that window.  The video doesn't need a login.)

Speaking of lessons...French calls. We are working on my accent -- there are lots of things I say badly, and the killer is that I often don't even know it.  Apparently I'm understandable, but the listener has to think what did he say?  for a moment.  I want to be better than that. And there's a bunch of review to do, too.

But for the moment .... I think that I'll just sit and listen to the birds.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

French is tough. Frenchmen are impossible. The one I know, the professor, just walked off and left his wife and kids. He found a new woman in Canada. They will all live...can they all live happily ever after here in this town? The only other Frenchman I knew was a long time ago, in the army. He wasn't worth shooting... but somebody did.

Cerulean Bill said...

I don't know very many French people, but those whom I know, I like. Even the one who can be really acerbic at times.

In the case I was talking bout, the girl was trying really hard to make that relationship work, and she wasn't getting support from the guy in doing so. I don't know the guy, but I think he's an idiot if he didn't even try to make it work. Then, I gather, he did something really stupid, and that was all she wrote.

STAG said...

Hey Bills...Its not the French. Its the age. When the combined life experience is based on brand new hormones and nice fresh boobs (and the sudden new reaction by everybody to them) the whole world is only a couple of years old. There is no perspective. A zit or a couple of extra pounds is a life changing disaster. A kind word can create wild emotions ranging from suspicion to stalking.

You think you can replace "relating to" with "empathising". This is a lesson which I had to learn the hard way too. Since it puzzles you so much (its been, what four or five posts, so it is much on your mind.) then remember this. I can emphathise with a cow, help her birth her calf, find her blocks of salt and nice bedding straw. Cuddle her, take care of her. But I cannot relate to a cow. In fact, I am glad I am not relating to here when I put her in the truck to take to the slaughter house.
It is well to remember the difference.

I'll shut up now.

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, I like to set myself difficult problems....

Cerulean Bill said...

And, Stag, no reason to shut up. I value your comments.