Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Selecting a College

We just made a college road trip.  It was a decent trip, though, due to some surprises from the Virginia Department of Transportation, which elected to close the highway a mile before our destination, leading us to take a side road, and then spend more than an hour in a traffic jam,   it was more than a little stressful. But I was willing, because I wanted her to see this place.  It's where I'd like her to go.  It's not entirely selfish on my part -- the school is a good one, and it's got the Corps function that she wants - but I like that it's three hours closer to home. Plus, due to the location - Virginia, not Vermont- the likelihold of her getting stuck on Amtrak in a blizzard when coming home during the winter is considerably less. I do want her to go where she wants, but I have a preference, and she knows it.  And to prove it, we just had this dialog:

Daughter: Would you fill a water bottle for me to take to color guard tonight?
Me:  What do I get out of it?
Daughter: The grateful thanks of a daughter who might go to Virginia Tech - I have till the first to decide!

Oh, yeah - she knows. I'm not getting my hopes up - well, not much.  Maybe just a little, though.
=============
Update: Apparently, she's actively considering it.  She liked the campus more than she expected, and she liked the Corps of Cadets more than the one in Vermont.  Still a long way from being a sure thing, but now I'm really glad that I made the trip.

No comments: