Tuesday, May 10, 2005

HAL, Cont'd

I did some reading last night on the general subject of text parsing, and a little bit on the design of web crawlers.

The reason I was doing this was that I wanted to look into how hard it would be to design a tool along the lines of the one that I (somewhat facetiously) suggested: an AI tool that can assist in network problem resolution. Its more than a little bit humbling to realize not only how much I don't know, but how much I don't even suspect, when it comes to those things. I know better than to think I can design one. I'd just like to think that I can at least generate a clue about how someone who could do that would go about it. A long time ago, I read an article about technical learning which referred to that as 'learning at the edges'. I have some pretty big edges!

I also had an idea for something that I will pretentiously called 'the Delphi technique' for feeding a tool like that, but at the moment, I think I'm sufficiently overwhelmed.

No comments: