Monday, April 28, 2008

Notes

Jeff Foxworthy says that people feel as if they know him, so that when they see him, they say 'Hey, Jeff' rather than 'Hey, Mr. Foxworthy'. From him, I believe it. I'd read years ago that Ross Perot liked to say that everyone calls him Ross, which I knew wasn't true -- maybe everyone on the seventh floor of the old EDS building in Dallas, where the execs hung out, but that would be about it. Foxworthy, though, I'd believe.

Someone -- I want to say Barbara Mikulski, one of the senators from Maryland, but I'm not sure about that -- once used the phrase 'speaking truth to power' to indicate a willingness to talk about difficult issues, or to bring up things with people that they didn't particularly want to hear. At the time, the phrase sounded majestic and noble to me, but since then I've heard it enough, used by people who seemed to be puffing up their chests and strutting a bit as they spoke, that now it just sounds like someone blowing a cheap tin horn. The other day I read someone describing their own actions as not being so much speaking truth to power as sneaking around behind power's back and laughing at them. That's more my style, I suppose.

Now Miley Cyrus is 'embarrassed' by the ads she did for Vanity Fair. Uh-huh. Join the club, kiddo. Actually, I think the ad itself is mild stuff. The effort to make a young girl seem older, sexier -- I'd make that a castration offense, if I could.

So, do you think Obama and that pastor are hanging out much at the church hall these days? I see where the cleric (soon to be called radical, I wonder?) says that an attack on him is actually an attack on the black churches, which I guess depends on whether what I'd heard about black ministers style -- that it's normally a mix of fire and rage, brimstone with a collection plate, and a healthy dose of criticism of the prevailing social structure -- is true. I don't know. My knowledge of black churches is pretty much limited to knowing about gospel choirs. My sense is that he's better off ignored by Obama -- which means that there will be plenty of people who say that he must speak on on it. Clinton, for one.

Still raining here. That grass -- well, its getting high enough that I'm pretty sure I heard Tarzan swinging through it, the other day....

4 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

The Miley thing has had me stewing today. I can't stand how younger and younger girls are being sexualized by the media and the public these days. What gets me about the picture is not only is she nearly naked, but that she looks "freshly ravashed"...complete with bed-hair and smeared make-up.

I can't believe her parents let her do that. I blame the parents and that exploiting photographer. I don't care how genius Annie Lebowitz is supposed to be. She knew what she was doing, and it's totally unethical. Vanity Fair and Lebowitz planned this, but Miley's parents should have protected her better.

As for Reverend Wright, I'm so sick of seeing him on the news. I do think he's a buffoon and it's embarrassing to watch him. I wish they'd quit giving him coverage. But I suspect that until Obama completely rejects him and severs himself from any association with him, then they'll keep showing it.

Whew, you got me riled up, Bill.

Cerulean Bill said...

I didn't mean to do that.... but it does seem that you and I have very similar views about many things, doesn't it?

Lone Chatelaine said...

That we do. Proves the saying about great minds, huh ;-)

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, we have so much in common... um.. gender, no...location, no... employment status, no... marital status, no... What was your name again?