Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Quik Thts

I was just out in the kitchen, and the following thoughts occured to me.

-- If I am offered and take this job, much of it would be doing things that I almost certainly can do, but not all of it. And I don't have the breadth of knowledge those other guys do. On the other hand, I've been up front about that.

-- It would certainly be a job outside of my comfort zone, in just about every possible way. Thats not necessarily a bad thing.

-- It would likely pay well. Not extremely well, but I'm guessing half again what I earn now. That would be nice, both for repaying the dental work, and for giving my wife some breathing room if things go south at her job. In fact, if this job worked out, she could actually bail entirely from there. (Some major assumptions in there, of course.)


My inclination is to take it. These kinds of decisions ought to be more black and white, though.

Speaking of which: at the DMV, the clerk told me and the guy who was buying our old car that we could not just transfer the plates -- only inside-the-family transfers could do that. (Makes no sense to me.) I pointed to the guy buying it and said 'But we're clearly related!' He's black. I'm white. The clerk almost lost it, she was laughing so hard.

=============

Update: No, it doesn't necessarily pay all that well. Apparently, the fellow who started the company is quite tight with a buck. I was advised to ask for what I want, and then some, because they will begrudge any raises afterward. Fortunately, I don't need this job.... I'd just like it. So, I can ask for whatever I want. Worst case, they fall off the chair laughing.

No comments: