Monday, May 07, 2007

Further...

I just had the telephone interview.

According to the corporate guy who immediately called me back, it went very well -- he said that he got very positive response from the techie I talked to. Now they want me to talk to a second one, and if that one goes well, they'll want to 'take this discussion to the next level' -- which I think means going out to their corporate headquarters and doing a face to face discussion with them. And probably shortly thereafter, a job offer.

This scares me.

These people are good. I mean, good. They don't just know the environment, they know the environment and how it works with dozens of different other products. They know what its supposed to look like when it works and what its supposed to do, exactly. They know this stuff cold. Each of them has over twenty years working in this specific area; some have thirty. I have six. I'm good, but I'm no where near that good. I'm good like a minor league pitcher who can usually strike out a batter. These people are major league, and they're throwing heat. Use whatever analogy you want -- the pro's from Dover, the A Team, SWAT. They're outstandingly good. Me? I just know a few things.

Criminy. This scares me. I'm not (much) afraid of the challenge. I'm afraid of failing, big time.

As a side note, I'm not too thrilled about the working environment, which is, apparently, two and three weeks in a row of travel, over and over -- and on the customer site, its just you, no one else. You're expected to Know It All. I think I can hack that -- but I'm not sure. Maybe I'm being wimpy here, but I actively like being at home a lot with my family. I knew this job involved travel, and even frequent. This seems like more than frequent. Verging on obsessive, in fact. I do want to earn money to pay back for the dental work (though my wife says I don't have to). But at what cost?

I thought my career was winding up. I thought I'd end up staying home, baking bread, making dinner. This is more like starting a brand new career. Am I up for that? Can I handle that?

Though it sure does sound like fun.....

2 comments:

Rach said...

It sounds like such a new adventure and big step you're taking, and of course you're going to be a little apprehensive and nervouse about it. I think most of us downplay our qualifications, so when you say you're 'good' at what you do, I'm thinking 'great' probably better describes it. There's always so many pros and cons to certain jobs (I see it second hand these days it seems), but I'm certain THE right one will come along that will work for you and your family, and it'll just feel right.

*crossing fingers for ya*

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, it really is. I just did the second interview, and it was again a very casual approach. The guy was very upfront about things that most people aren't -- saying, for example, 'figure how much money you want, including compensation for any loss in vacation time, or 401(k) (retirement) copays that you'll lose, and ask for that plus a cushion; these guys are good to work for but they are quite stingy'. I have small requirements but they're not nonexistant, so thats good to know.

I can always stay home and bake, my wife says. The pay stinks but there are EXCELLENT benefits.