Sunday, June 04, 2006

Why I don't do hardware

About two months ago, I noticed that the laptop won't print to the Lexmark printer any more. It'll print to the older HP, not the newer Lexmark. Both of those printers are plugged into the desktop, which is connected to a wireless router.

How hard can this be, I thought. I see the printers list already has have the Lexmark, probably something got bollixed up, no prob, delete and reinstall. Only the reinstall doesn't work -- you can select the printer, but then it...just... hangs. No error, no timeout, no nothing. So for grins I brought up the network map under File Explorer on the laptop -- and I noticed something very weird. The list of the printers blinks on and off in about a 4 second loop. Four seconds, they're there. Another four seconds, get a 'Searching for items ' at the bottom of the page. There. Not There. There. Not there.

Oh-KAYYYYY.......
================================
Update: I reinstalled the driver...which ended up apparently reinstalling ALL the printers, don't ask me why ....and now I have two sets of identical printers.

But it works.

No comments: