Friday, June 23, 2006

Dinner

We had dinner out this evening. It was quite the event. The occasion was my wife's impending birthday (tomorrow); it's one of the Big Ones, and though she is not apprehensive about it, when she mentioned that she'd like to go out to dinner (and my first thought was a local eatery), adding 'Not the usual places', I picked up on that and asked where she'd like to go. She mentioned a pretty nice place (in a larger city it'd be a suit-and-tie sort of place, but we're more rural here), and that's where we went. I was adventurous; I ordered grilled salmon, which I have never had before (I'm not too much on seafood). She had a form of shrimp (I could not contemplate that), and my daughter had spaghetti (I promised to eat her meatballs). By the end of the meal, my daughter was chipper (she'd started out glum, for some reason); I think the dessert helped -- both she and I had a flourless chocolate cake that was so intense neither of us could finish it. Though she did help my wife polish off her creme brulee.

It was fun.

2 comments:

Rach said...

Happy birthday wishes to your wife. I hope she enjoys her day and has a great year to come.

I can't help but drop my jaw with the comment "I ordered grilled salmon, which I have never had before (I'm not too much on seafood). "
Salmon is one of our staple foods around these parts. I absolutely LOVE seafood and am so fortunate we can get alot of it fresh right off our coast.
Remind me to send you seafood for YOUR birthday. hee!

Cerulean Bill said...

I hope so as well. She's certainly earned it.

I never learned to like seafood. I lived in Boston for a while and was aghast to see people ripping apart lobster to get the meat. I hear about 'deveining' shrimp (or is it lobster?); either way, the concept makes me cringe. I have tried to find seafood I can eat, but rarely -- very rarely. There are two things I like about seafood: tuna in a can (and not all of it), and the scrod joke.

But tonight I thought well, this is a classy restaurant, if anyone can make it taste decent, they probably can. It had something called raspberry coulis on it (did I spell that right?) which was kind of a marinade or relish. It added a bit of flavor and masked the minor 'fish' taste.

Perhaps in your part of the world, the fish tastes better. Almost certainly, the eaters are less finicky.

Pepperoni pizza, anyone?