Thursday, June 29, 2006

AI - Ay Ay!!!

I was reading an article here about the possibility that Google is funding research on artificial intelligence as a method of augmenting the effectiveness of search engines. It's a pretty interesting article, but I had to slow down every so often because it kept using phrases that I didn't understand -- like 'partially mineralized' and 'technological singularity'. It didn't take long to figure out what they meant (or at least, what I think they meant; each of those phrases was hyperlinked, but I didn't click through, as I liked my definitions -- I say that PN means 'partially human, partially machine', and TS means 'a point where technology breaks off into a radically new direction') but it made me wonder; why couldn't they just say it in plain words'?


Which is when I got my insight.

What if part of the fun of coming up with a new (whatever) is making up the words, so that the people who know are In The Club, and those who don't have to clamor for entry?

No comments: