Sunday, January 30, 2005

Republicans and Democrats

I'm a registered Republican....but most of the time, I vote Democratic, because I like the way they think more than I like the way that Republicans think.

Which is not to say that I dislike the way Republicans think. Sometimes, I like it very much indeed. I like the concept of privatized Social Security; the reason I am opposed to it at the moment is not because I dislike the idea, but because I distrust the people in power, those who would implement it. I doubt they've given a lot of thought to 'what do we do if it doesn't work, how will we protect those who need it?' I think that they are sufficiently distant from me that they honestly don't care what happens to me, and people like me, if their plan goes awry -- they'll just shrug and say that the plan was theoretically sound, and hey, at least big business owners weren't affected.

Democrats are not a lot better. I was on a mailing list from Democrats.org, and told them to drop me, because in two months I never once saw a mailing which spoke in any way about their plans, their desires. It was always 'we have to stop the Republicans, we have to stop Bush.' Okay, I agree. How? Show me that you're thinking, show me that you're evolving. An article in today's paper says that Democrats are viewing stopping the privatization of Social Security as a make or break issue, and that if successful they will challenge the idea of capping medical malpractice awards. As it happens, I like the idea of capping malpractice awards -- not totally fond of the idea, but I think its worth doing just because of what malpractice fees are doing to the decent doctors -- but either way, I'm dismayed by the Democratic rhetoric. Is that the limit of their ambition, insight, thoughtfulness? I thought that style of 'activity' went out with Gingrich. Though, come to think of it, he is around again, isn't he?

I saw something in the Sunday paper which distressed me more than I would have suspected that it would, and which got me fuming about Bush and co, again. A fellow wrote an article in the Washington Post titled "Don't Mind Me. I'm Just Doing My Job", wherein he describes what it was like to have a minder follow him around while he was interviewing people at one of the inaugural parties. The minders, he says, did not attempt to muzzle or control him, and except for one woman whose attitude seemed permanently set to Vitriolic, they were pleasant, even friendly. But they hovered next to him, mute reminders to the interviewed that everything they said, suggested, insinuated could and might well be reported back to Big Brother -- or worse yet, to Dick Cheney.

I find that kind of mind control to be entirely consistent with the Bush style, which was, you may recall, the campaign that required loyalty oaths before allowing people into their campaign rallies, and its entirely inconsistent with a free society. It confirms me in my drive to oust the Republicans.

Because that kind of action is just plain wrong.

No comments: