Monday, January 24, 2005

The American Scholar

I usually enjoy reading American Scholar magazine. I don't always understand it, mind you, as it is written and edited by some very bright people, indeed, but when I do understand it, I usually find that the material is interesting, literate, occasionally funny, and always something that I'm not likely to find anywhere else.

The article that I'm reading now, What the Inaugural Addresses Say About America, from the current issue, is a good example. It's by a fellow who has accomplished the prodigious feat of reading every word in every Inaugural Addresss, and has given a great deal of thought to their content. Drawing on that effort, he distills Inaugural Addresses to the following common themes:

  1. I am not worthy of this great honor.
  2. But I congratulate the people that they elected me.
  3. Now we must all come together, even those of us who really hate each other.
  4. I love the Constitution, the Union, and George Washington.
  5. I will work against bad threats.
  6. I will work for good things.
  7. We must avoid entangling alliances.
  8. America's strength = democracy.
  9. Democracy's strength = America.
  10. Thanks, God.

Just think of all the presidential speechwriters who could have knocked off work early, given that list!

He also mentions where the tradition of the inaugural parade comes from (it was a failed getaway), why there is a presidential reviewing stand (thank Lincoln), and asks this poignant question about inaugural addresses: ' Is there a single person, including the president, who can quote even a sentence from George W. Bush's 2001 inaugural? (In fact) can anyone quote a sentence uttered since "Ask not what your country can do for you?" '

Um.... no.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved this, Keep up the good work! Cate

Cerulean Bill said...

Heck, its easy, when all I'm doing is quoting someone else. I read a bit more in the magazine this morning -- a really good article about a fellow who was an editor in Oregon -- and was just delighted. Every so often, Scholar comes through with an article that just *clicks*.