Sunday, January 16, 2005

Apple Pie and Congress

Apple pie:
This morning, my daughter and I made an apple pie. She pared most of the apples, I sliced them, we both fed the slices into the food processor, she mixed the slices with the rest of the ingredients, I unrolled the two pre-made circles of dough, she put down the bottom circle, scooped in the mixture, put down the top circle, melded the edges, cut the slits, I set up the oven and slid it in. Can't wait.

Congress:
"Why stir up a political hornet's next...when there's no urgency? When does the program go belly-up? 2042. I will be dead by then." Representative Bob Simmons (D-Conn)

...and if pro is the opposite of con, what's the opposite of progress?

2 comments:

Nan said...

M-m-m-m, The apple pie sounds yummy. Will that be a la mode? There's nothing like cooking with kids. They learn mathematics, science, social studies, and health and nutrition, all while having a fun bonding experience. I think all elementary schools should be required to let kids cook at least once a week. It can even be tied in to language arts. I'm curious though, why put the apple slices in the food processor? We usually have whole apple slices in ours. Does the food processor mix but not mangle?

Cerulean Bill said...

Nope, not a la mode, though that sounds tempting. We made waffles this morning, and I thought briefly about putting ice cream on it, but didn't. Next time....

As for the food processor, its more a matter of reduction of effort. When I was teaching myself to bake pies, I would make the crust from scratch and slice the apples by hand. I found that I was slow enough cutting the apples that they started to turn brown, which I didn't like. This way, I can get slices in about thirty seconds per apple. Similarly, using the Pillsbury premade dough means I can go from 'in the wrapper' to 'usable dough' in the time it takes to slice the apples and mix the ingredients. And its good crust, too.