Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Wings

This picture of a B-52 Stratofortress, which I found here, made me smile.




....even if the tune of When Johnny Comes Marching Home,  which was used in Doctor Strangelove: Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb, does keep running through my brain.

The only other plane that triggers that reaction is this one.   Surely you recognize it.   Just looking at the photo brings the deep thrum thrum thrum of those powerful C130 Hercules engines, and the faintly musty aroma inside the cargo bay,  back to me in an instant. Loved that plane. Even when my memory is tinged with the feeling of those uncomfortable web seats, or the heat - stepping down from the plane after a flight, expecting to be at least a little cooler outside, was usually a losing proposition -  even with that, it's a delight. Glad that bird and its descendants is still flying....

No comments: