Thursday, July 30, 2009

Multiple Things

We had a guest for lunch today, a person who lives north of here, goes to school south of here, and occasionally commutes past our home, stopping in for that most precious of items on a long commute -- a clean bathroom. We forced food on her, again, and, we suspect, while she was here, she occasionally thought 'those people are nice but a little strange'. (We were doing a lot of teasing, which not every family does, I think. ) I joked that my wife had worked from home today so that I would not be alone with an attractive young woman, but, actually, that was part of the reason -- not that my wife doesn't trust me, but, hey, we don't really know each other that well, misunderstandings do happen, why take the chance? Mostly, though, it was because I'd told my wife that the last time this young woman was here, I got the impression that she was a little uncomfortable being here alone with me, and we wanted to avoid that, this time. It worked out well, and we all had a good time. Well, we did. I hope she did, too!

My daughter's cousin is coming to stay with us for a week. I told my daughter that I'd bet serious money that her parents will have said 'now, if they offer you something to eat that you don't like, don't complain -- eat just a little bit'. There's always a certain sense of 'these people have strange customs', I think , when kids stay over at someone's house.

I've been having a recurring conversation with a person who responded to that Guns post. I have to say, I'm not totally enjoying it, because I find my self repeatedly thinking how can this person think these things....and after I've tried so hard to be accepting, too! And yet, its good for me, because I think this is a basically decent person with a different take on life than me, a different basic set of assumptions. I'm not enjoying it, but I think it's enlarging my world view, and that's good. It reminds me that not all the good ideas come from people like me. Or even people that are mostly like me. Sometimes, the gun lovers/McCain supporters are right. It makes me think a little more deeply about why I think as I do.

We cooked burgers on the grill today. High fat content. High YUM content -- though I do sort of wish I hadn't charred them!

2 comments:

genderist said...

My family is all about picking on the new person (& each other), too.

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, my wife likes to say that if it weren't for sarcasm, our family would never talk to each other. (Which sounds much worse than it is -- more 'power teasing' than anything')