Friday, April 17, 2009

Interrogation

This is certainly the sort of airing of dirty laundry that the Republicans and others feared would occur in an Obama Presidency. Cheney must be flat-lining.

I cannot be the only person who, upon reading of the activities allowed under the Bush interrogation guidelines, had the phrase "I was only following orders" pass through his mind. They were, after all, told that what they were doing was legal, and this guidance came from the highest levels of legal authority in this nation. Similarly, I cannot be the only person who also had the phrase "But these are evil, unscrupulous people they were dealing with; any actions against such vicious people is justified" come to mind shortly thereafter.

I don't doubt that some of the interrogators did what they were told to do, what they were legally allowed to do, in honest pursuit of truth from an enemy who has shown no scruples whatsoever in their quest for -- well, whatever it is they're looking for, past destabilization of the current order. I also don't doubt that some of the interrogators went beyond the legal limits, for the same reasons. We venerate the idea of Jack Bauer, after all. Bronson. Eastwood. Norris. The strong, silent man who does what needs to be done, without undue regard for the niceties of the law.

I cannot say what I would have done, truly believing that I was serving my country, even knowing that I was doing so by doing things that could never see the light of day. I would like to think that I would be forthright in my refusals, but I don't know.

What I do know is that these actions, on the part of my country, sicken and shame me. Even if they worked. Even if they worked.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

I want proof that they worked. Even McCain says they do not work.

Cerulean Bill said...

Won't get it. They'd say that it would expose what we know. Twenty, thirty years, maybe.