Monday, March 16, 2009

Monday

I think that when Windows has 'accepted' a mouse-click to start an application via an icon, that icon should change color to show you that it really did happen, so that you don't think 'well, maybe it wasn't ready/threw it away', and click it again....and again, and again.

============
I think that knowing a learning style helps in learning new things. I think this despite the fact that having a pretty strong hunch about my own learning style hasn't helped a whit in that regard. I've always thought 'well, yeah, but if I knew what way was best, I could use it', ignoring that this assumes the best way was actually available to me. (And maybe it is, but I just don't recognize it?) I was thinking about this this morning while reading a column in the Sunday Washington Post magazine about a woman who'd started a business doing tool sharpening. She said that she knew that she learned best from hands-on, so she paid for an apprenticeship at a tool-sharpener. Wow, I thought, smart lady.

So I hunted around a bit for information on styles, and came across this, which resulted in this:

I know that's a bit tough to read; what it says is that based on the downloaded questionnaire, my strongest methods of learning are verbal and logical, which I interpret as 'I learn best by reading, and thinking about what I've read', usually working alone; my weakest are anything where I have to do things physically, and, somewhat, where I have to learn by watching and listening. I can learn in groups, though I prefer not to do so.

Okay. Apparently, RNA drip or Matrix-style upload is out, so now what? Read a lot? Isn't that so -- twentieth century? Okay, I'm joking ( a little), but what I'm really asking is 'Given that reading is such a linear activity, is there a better way? A way to augment the experience, involve more parts of the brain...speed it up, and still have something useful?

=============
Brought my daughter home this morning. She sounded pretty tired on the phone. Her guess is that she got to sleep -- around 5AM.

No comments: