Sunday, June 22, 2008

Tuck's Son

I just had a lengthy conversation with a friend who lives in Tucson. That title is how she taught me to remember it - Tucks Son. I always want to spell it Tuscon. She's a successful artist -- spent twenty years as a programmer, married well enough that she could quit about fifteen years ago, did a little teaching at a local school, and then started painting. She's not wealthy, but she's doing quite nicely. I'm pleased for her. She's a pretty nice person.

In talking about her home, she mentioned that the housing market in Tucson has dropped significantly over the last couple of years. Last time we were there, we saw housing springing up everywhere. Now, not quite so much. People are still putting up way-expensive houses, but apparently even they have had a cut in their pricing. For grins, I picked a Tucson real estate web page at random and searched on houses that were one level, less than two thousand square feet, and had a garage. Over seven hundred listings came up. Good lord. I doubt we would, but suddenly the idea of being 'snowbirds' doesn't sound completely out of the question.

No comments: