Saturday, February 16, 2008

Taxing

I don't enjoy doing taxes, but this isn't too bad.

Last week, I went through our Taxes-2007 folder, sorting the material into forms, W-2's (I wonder what the W-1 is?), 1099s, deductions, and so forth. This evening, I stretched out in bed, signed the laptop onto a site that has Turbo Tax available, and did the first half (roughly), of the return -- listing income from salary, interest, and dividends.Next comes deductions, which will be a bit tedious. Still, I've been looking forward to this -- being unemployed for a quarter of the year will mean that we'll get some money back from the feds. It won't be tons, but it'll be nice to have, for the brief period that we can actually touch it. For some reason, I always take great pleasure in checking the box where it says Do you want to apply this refund to next year's return? As there is no What Do You Think I Am, Crazy? box, I simply check NO. Three or four times.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Taxes? Oy. We'll have to pay - again. Considering the size of the checks we have written for the last two years, I can't figure out what Bush means when he says "tax cut". Maybe someone wealthier than me (which wouldn't be hard, no siree, not hard at all!) is paying less. We sure as heck ain't. :-(

Carolyn Ann

PS It didn't help when our tax-preparer got last years return wrong, either.

Cerulean Bill said...

I get a fair amount of my political insight from novels (unlike the official sources, novelists have an interest in making their stuff readable). One novelist said, referring to taxes, that there was something seriously wrong when you based your taxes on advice from the IRS, that advice was wrong (not just misinterpreted, but flat wrong), and you had to pay a penalty on the error. I know that when we used to have our taxes 'done' (which meant, after the first year, gathering up the info and giving it to a CPA who would plug the numbers and look for discrepencies), they'd say that if there was an error resulting in a fine, they'd pay it. I always wondered if that was true.