Sunday, October 22, 2006

Building

An article I read recently made the point that when you ask people what a house looks like, you usually get the classic triangle over a rectangle. But when you ask what it feels like, you get 'easy access to my garage', 'low noise', 'greenery outside my window'. A company in California put together a high-density housing complex that doesn't feel high-density -- it feels like a house.

Picture a rectangular building, two stories high. The first floor is divided into three garages. The second floor is three apartments -- one stretching the width of the building, and the front half of the depth; the other two split the rear half of the depth, and each two stories. The entrance to the front apartment is on the side; the entrance to each of the two other apartments are on the other two sides. The result is a house that fits together into a high-density square but feels isolated -- you don't see your neighbors, you don't hear them. The garage is right there, and the lawns are just outside your window.

I like ingenuity.

2 comments:

Angie said...

That sounds awesome. I can't stand developments where you look out your window and into your neighbor's.

Cerulean Bill said...

Until I saw the design, I would have sworn it was impossible to do -- high density isolation. I really like it. Hope more work like that gets done...