Sunday, June 27, 2004

What's Money For?

Which is considerably more glib than I actually am. We don't spend money foolishly, but our idea of foolish doesn't exclude having fun with it, as long as we feel that we can justify it. (All of which equivocation reminds me of a brief session I had with someone who was sort-of a psychologist, during a period when I was quite stressed at work; hearing my reply to a question about what I do for fun (answer: well... ), she said, dryly, "I can hear the joy in your voice"). But thats just the way I am.

In this case, the question is "How much is reasonable to spend for the travel (and lodging, but mostly travel) part of a one week trip to London, which we're contemplating for the end of the year". A friend whose thoughts I value (and who is significantly wealthier than me, though she wouldn't call herself rich, I bet) says that it is silly to pay a ton of money for travel; you'll only be on the plane for maybe ten hours, so just suck it up and save the money.' And she has a point. Round trip airfare to London, economy class, is about $1700, and via business, about $8000. For the extra money, you get better food, more space, things to amuse you during the flight, and access to the airport lounge. Those are all nice, but are they worth $6000? Objectively, you'd have to say no, they aren't.

But this is our Big Flight, maybe our only one for the next ten years. We were supposed to go to Australia for three weeks; that turned out to not be possible, and this is the substitute. This cost is proportional to that cost, so if we were willing to pay that (and we were), then, economically, we ought to be willing to pay this, too. And truth to tell, even if it wasn't proportional, still - it's the Big Trip. We don't get out a lot, we don't spend money freely. And at least one of us will be working for another ten years, so we will be able to replace those funds.

Isn't that what money is for? To be spent to enhance your life, to increase your satisfaction and enjoyment, to be fun? (Sotto voce: yes, when it's someone else's money...)

No comments: