Saturday, June 13, 2009

Carded

I got another card on my keychain the other day.

I already had one for Borders Rewards, Giant Rewards, CVS rewards, and one or two that I don't recall what they are, at the moment, but when I reached in my pocked for the keys, I noticed a new one: the dealership where I bring the van for gas had signed me up for their 'oil change club'; get four and the fifth is free. I would suppose that the Jiffy-Lubes and whatnot were causing them problems, but it seems like those places are closing, themselves, so perhaps this is in response to generalized malaise in the automobile market. Whatever it is, now I have another card to flip through while looking for one at a given store. Which gives rises to an idea: a flash-card sizes dongle (I love that word) that has a bright display, rectangular, and a plug. When you get a new card, you type in the business and the barcode, and it gets transferred to the dongle. When you want it, you scroll through them, display it, and the scanner picks it up.

Okay, so there are a couple of holes in the idea -- for one, this thing would be fairly thick, which does tend to agitate against the problem that's I'm trying to solve. For another, those little cards are free, while this thing clearly wouldn't be. Still: I think there's something to it.

No comments: