Monday, April 09, 2007

Stray Thought

I was thinking on the way in about theocracies, and how they operate. These weren't particularly deep thoughts, but I wondered: Iran is a theocracy, and Iraq is as well; so, I think, are Saudi Arabia, Oman, and Pakistan. Abu Dhabi, I'm not sure about, or Libya. But all of those are Islamic theocracies. I assume you can call Israel a Jewish theocracy, though my impression is that they aren't as intense about imposing their religion as a way of life on the populace as a whole. I suspect its very helpful to be Jewish, but not as helpful as it would be in one of the countries I mentioned.

Anyway, I wondered: are there any Christian theocracies? Certainly, there are theocratic schools -- Oral Roberts University comes quickly to mind -- and there are people who'd like to make this country a theocracy (maybe not in name, but in practice, oh, yeah) but are there nations where the name of the game is the Christian religion, and if you live there, you're expected to adhere?

And if not, does that imply anything good, bad, or indifferent?

No comments: