Friday, March 25, 2005

Mentoring

One of the things that my company, The Biggest Software Company in the World, does which I think is nice is: they support mentoring efforts for girls in the sciences. I like that.

Ever since I had a daughter, I've been aware of the disparity in the way that girls progress through the science curricula. When I see articles about programs that aim to address the imbalance, or even the ones that just talk about it (such as the squib in Time Magazine not too long ago about the level of girls' achievement versus boys in, I believe, Iceland), I look into them. I don't know if my daughter will want to pursue the sciences (at the moment she's more interested in being an artist and sculptor, like her uncle), but I want her to have the option, and the encouragement to do so if she wants it.

Thus, when I heard that TBSCW supported the Mentornet project, I was delighted. I don't know if I'm smart enough to help in this, or if I have the right background, but I'm going to try.

Because a child's mind -- any child , but especially mine -- is a terrible thing to waste.

No comments: