Saturday, December 04, 2004

Normally, I'd Be Exhausted

...at about this time, because today is the day that the company for whom I used to work holds their Breakfast With Santa, and I would have been sitting for about two hours as kid after kid clambered up and talked to me. I would have been thinking longingly of something cold to drink -- just as I was leaving, one year, the Coke delivery guy gave me a free one, and all I could think of was the old Coke ad -- and of getting out of the suit, knowing that the T Shirt and underwear would be soaked in sweat. One year, I didn't wear the T Shirt, and got to drive home with clammy clothes. What fun.

As I think I mentioned earlier, the reason I begged out this year was one that I couldn't really tell them -- that being, that I disliked when the family of the person doing the photography for the event clambered over me for their individual and group shots. It's silly, I suppose, but I felt unappreciated, and I didn't like that part of it, so I just didn't do it this year. We'll see about next year.

That won't be a consideration next Saturday, though, when I do it at one of the local hospitals. They have a good turnout, and they really seem to appreciate the effort that I and all of the others involved put into it. The first year, they equipped me with two rather sexy elves from a local college. Last two years, it was a middle-aged woman, which wasn't nearly as visually interesting, but I had fun anyway. I really enjoy it. I'm hoping that I'll get the chance to see any kids who happen to be in residence in the hospital, too.

Every year, I wonder if I should go out and buy a Santa suit. What I'd really want, I think, is one of the old fashioned ones, with a robe rather than the jacket and belt, and I'd want real boots, too. Then I realize that the setup would cost about $400 or so, and my enthusiasm wanes substantially. Come to think of it, thats exactly the cycle my mind goes through when I mull over getting a big screen TV, too. I think its called Reality Sets In.

Ah, Christmas.
.
.
.-

No comments: