Monday, January 27, 2003

Restaurants: I'm not a great person to ask about food. My wife likes to say that my idea of a great restaurant is an unstuffy place with quiet music, good china, sparkling crystal, solid-silver utensils, deferential waiters who don't pretend to be my pal -- and meatloaf. To which I which I can only add: But it has to be good meatloaf ! But there are one or two restaurants where I'd go out of my way to eat; if you're in the vicinity, they are definitely worth a visit. One is in Tucson, a city whose name I only learned to spell correctly by listening to a friend patiently repeat Tuc's Son, over and over. The restaurant is The Tack Room, and despite the opportunity for puns and bad jokes about the name (many of which I've made), its a great place to eat -- one of the few places I've eaten where the staff didn't seem anxious to hurry us out, once we'd paid the bill. Another is Fornou's Ovens, in San Francisco, just down the hill from the Mark Hopkins hotel. It's not as formal, but the food is great - a rustic French decor, and the blast furnace heat of the ovens (the tables closest to them seem to empty the fastest), couple with great food and wonderful service. I also enjoy any time I get to eat at a Schlotzsky's restaurant. No atmosphere to speak of, but when I would occasionally fly to Dallas on business, I used to make a point to pick up a Schlotzsky's original on the way back to the airport and carry it home, to be reheated and savored the next day. Excellent.

No comments: